[Coral-List] sponge bioerosion

Laura Núnez Pons lauguau at gmail.com
Wed Jun 7 06:48:23 EDT 2017

Hi Dennis,

Maybe this can help:
http://www.journals.uchicago.edu/doi/abs/10.1086/BBLv228n2p137?journalCode=bbl

Best and good luck!

LAU

> Hi all:
>
> I am trying to relocate a paper that came across my desk in the past few
> months. It relates to using either total surface-sponge cover or the number
> of papillae per unit area as a proxy for internal bioerosion *rate*. I
> believe it was a follow-up on work reported in Chris Perry's ReefBudget
> protocol, but he is in the field right now and unavailable.
>
> Liz Whitcher and I completed a study a few years back where we used past
> video transects to pinpoint the time of death for specific corals to within
> 2 months. As a result, we were able to compute infaunal bioerosion rates
> without using the usual tile deployments. We still have the samples in the
> lab and photographed each dead colony before (in situ) and immediately
> after sampling (on the boat). I have a student who would like to compare
> surficial information to Liz' bioerosion rates to see how close they are to
> other recent data. If anyone can refresh my failing memory regarding the
> recent papers that specifically compare surficial information to internal
> bioerosion, I'd be very appreciative.
>
> Best,
>
> Dennis
>
> --
> Dennis Hubbard
> Chair, Dept of Geology-Oberlin College Oberlin OH 44074
> (440) 775-8346
>
> * "When you get on the wrong train.... every stop is the wrong stop"*
>  Benjamin Stein: "*Ludes, A Ballad of the Drug and the Dream*"

Laura Núñez Pons, PhD
Research Fellow

Dept. of Biology and Evolution of Marine Organisms (BEOM)Stazione
Zoologica "Anton Dohrn"Villa Comunale80121 - NaplesItaly

Email SZN: laura.nunezpons at szn.i <laura.nunez.pons at szn.it>t
Telephone office: +39 081 5833228Telephone Italia: *+39
3476474729*skype: Lauguau

Web page: lauranunezpons.wix.com/lauranunezpons

Marie Curie CO-FUND Postdoctoral Fellow
Smithsonian Tropical Research Institute (STRI)
Altieri Lab
Panamá
Email STRI: *NunezL at si.edu <NunezL at si.edu>*
Telephone España: *+34 665990811*