[Coral-List] New paper on coral bacterial challenge and microbiome succession

Rebecca Vega Thurber rvegathurber at gmail.com
Mon Jun 12 18:01:25 EDT 2017

Hi coral listers,
    On behalf of the authors, I would like to point you to our new open
access article about coral microbiomes and how they shift during a
bacterial challenge.

   The title of our work is "Alien versus Predator: bacterial challenge
alters coral microbiomes unless controlled by Halobacteriovorax predators."

    We think this work is important for anyone studying coral disease
because it clearly shows that after infection by a primary pathogen or
invader, the coral microbiome dramatically changes to allow for various
opportunists to occupy and sometimes dominate the coral tissues. These
findings have important implications for people attempting to link coral
disease signs to a particular pathogen.  The work can be found at Peer J.

https://peerj.com/articles/3315/

If you have any questions or concerns about the work please don't hesitate
to email me.

-Becky

--
Dr. Rebecca Vega Thurber