[Coral-List] ***UNCHECKED*** Support our Crowd funding initiative to study Borneo's robust corals

Jens Zinke jens.zinke at gmail.com
Mon Mar 6 04:17:44 EST 2017

Borneo's robust corals

Support our Crowd funding initiative to study Borneo's robust corals and
help us to rise $5000 US to fund our dive campaign planned for May 2017 as
part of a Masters study.

Our project focuses on the coral reefs of the Miri-Sibuti Coral Reefs
Marine Park in the Malaysian province Sarawak in Borneo. Last year we
successfully conducted the first surveys of coral cover, coral diversity,
bleaching and disease prevelance at 4 reefs in the marine park. With
limited funding from Curtin Sarawak University and Curtin University
(Perth, Australia) we managed to implement a series of monitoring equipment
(SST loggers, sediment traps, light loggers) and tagged many corals,
bleached and unbleached.
Now, we like to expand our program, collect the instruments and put new
equipment in place. A Masters student from the FU Berlin (Germany) together
with student volunteers from Curtin Sarawak is trying to raise awareness to
safeguard the forgotten reefs of Borneo.
We need the help of the coral reef science and volunteer community to fund
our field campaign in this unique spot where coral reefs seem to have
persisted despite the many pressures from local and global stressors. Help
us to find out if Borneo's reefs are bright spots in light of climate
change.

Donate here: Borneo's robust corals <https://experiment.com/borneo%20corals>

Take a glimpse at our work: Borneo Project Video <Borneo Project:
https://youtu.be/rGmZ0MWhHNk>

Thank you very much in advance for your support!

Christina Braoun (Masters Student), Jens Zinke (FU Berlin) and Nicola Brown
(Curtin University)

--
Dr. Jens Zinke
Senior Researcher
jzinke at zedat.fu-berlin.de
Tel. +49 30 838 61034

Borneo Project: https://youtu.be/rGmZ0MWhHNk

Associate Professor (Adjunct), Curtin University of Technology

Bentley (Perth), WA 6845, Western Australia

Jens.Zinke at curtin.edu.au