[Coral-List] Insults to scientists

Mauro Lepore maurolepore at gmail.com
Tue Mar 7 15:07:11 EST 2017

"Negociating" with the public and politicians is challenging, so
professional negotiators do not improvise. If we want to do it properly, we
should learn https://gettingmore.com/the-model/.

Cheers,
Mauro

On Tue, Mar 7, 2017 at 6:57 AM, <coral-list-request at coral.aoml.noaa.gov>
wrote:

> ------------------------------
>
> Message: 5
> Date: Tue, 7 Mar 2017 03:10:04 +0000
> From: "Sheppard, Charles" <Charles.Sheppard at warwick.ac.uk>
> Subject: [Coral-List] Insults to scientists
> To: "coral-list at coral.aoml.noaa.gov" <coral-list at coral.aoml.noaa.gov>

> Sarah Frias-Torres says she has been called an ?Environmental Nazi? when
> she tells people what sort of things need to be done to help reefs (or
> indeed any of the oceans? habitats).   Let us on Coral-List have a
> competition for the most imaginative insult.  I would like to offer two
> entries: I have been called in public:
>
> a ?scientific fascist? (by a lawyer representing a vested interest) for
> using data to demonstrate an unwelcome point ? clearly a shocking thing to
> try and do!  Also, a ?people killer? when pointing out in a keynote at a
> sustainable development conference that the number of people already living
> on the island that the conference was held in was not sustainable.
>
> Our competition might award a ?Virtual Coral? prize to the recipient of
> the most absurd or imaginative insult.  Then, seriously, we should use the
> list in a well-placed article on this whole head-in-the-sand and denial
> problem.
>
> Best wishes
> Charles Sheppard
> Professor Emeritus

Mauro

https://maurolepore.github.io/
CTFS-ForestGEO, Tropical Research Institute
Off +507 212 8365 (Naos) +507 212 28442 (Gamboa); Wpp +61 4780 96450; Mob
+507 653 46475