[Coral-List] Insults to scientists

Dennis Hubbard dennis.hubbard at oberlin.edu
Wed Mar 8 15:43:39 EST 2017

I've been lurking, but had to weight in...

I'd vote for the "Proxmire Award". Way back when, this was a senator from
(I think) Wisconsin who gave the "Golden Fleece Award" each year for what
he thought was the most rediculous waste of tax-payers' funds awarded to
the scientific community. His zll-time top honor went to a large grant for
fruit-fly research that was (eventually) pivotal in identifying Legionaires
Disease - I guess he lost the veterans' vote on that one. Anyway, when he
was eventually sued for slander, he argued that was protected from slander
suit regarding anything he said as a senator.... it turned out that this
protection only extended to things said on the floor of the Senate - and
the award disappeared soon after.

The lessons here are that: 1)  good science often looks like pork to those
without perspective, 2) pork-wise, Proxmire was the "pot" in "the pot
calling the kettle black" parable, and 3) "alternate facts" are the stuff
of raw amateurs when it come to what can be said in the well of Congress.

Good luck picking out an uglier fish!

Dennis