[Coral-List] 50 reefs initiative

Steve Mussman sealab at earthlink.net
Wed Mar 8 11:16:26 EST 2017

Thanks to Coral-List and NOAA for continuing to provide a format for sharing perspectives on issues like this. I would just like to add that in my opinion Grace's Reef Guru program is something that all dive operators should embrace, but in addition to grassroots efforts, the dive industry itself has a responsibility to candidly address the issue of coral reef degradation and should be implementing a commensurate top down approach. I think it's interesting and commendable that the upcoming ADEX Show (Asia Dive Expo) is taking on one of the central issues openly (http://www.adex.asia/) while their American counterparts seem to be keeping their heads buried deep in the sand. In this respect Quenton's comments on Earth Optimism were right on point. According to Pew Research, in the last US election cycle, environmental issues ranked near the bottom (12th out of 14) in voting priorities. (http://www.people-press.org/2016/07/07/4-top-voting-issues-in-2016-election/) Somehow this has to change if we are to have any real chance of reversing the trend. One last point, as for creating a list of reefs that are not in danger . . . I wonder if there is any such thing?   Regards, Steve

Sent from my iPad