[Coral-List] 'Internships'

Nicole Crane nicrane at cabrillo.edu
Fri Mar 17 11:59:48 EDT 2017

Ok everyone, please provide YOUR exact definition of an internship.  I have yet to find one that meets these criteria (below).  Mentored, unpaid or minimally paid work in marine stations or with organizations serving marine causes around here (Monterey and Santa Cruz California) are advertised as internships often.  Those are usually unpaid but do not require students to pay.  But WAIT.  Those students still need to pay for their gas, food, their own rent and any other expenses.  Why is that different than offering the exact same type of experience but in a remote location where they ALSO have to pay those costs, but they happen to be more expensive.  If we take the actual work they do, the description of the actual internship out of those costs, I am still not sure how they differ.  Will, you offer some fancy distinctions below between different kinds of activities.  Honestly, if a student came to me looking for resume and skill building opportunities, I would not know how to wade through them.  This: "If a student undertakes an opportunity and supports themselves while giving to a worthy cause, that is an act of charity, not an internship”. Really?  always? What if they support themselves through an unpaid job experience that is also a worthy cause, also builds a resume, also provides valuable skills, and hey, how about one that also provides units? (Our school specifically has internships, some of which are PAID and through a special agreement with employers also provide units towards their degree).  How do we define those?

I suggest we not try and define these by things like “an act of charity’ implying in a way that students who do these might be among the wealthy who just want to participate in charity programs to make themselves and perhaps their family feel good.  That feels so insulting.  I have many students who participate in exactly these kinds of activities who are UNDERserved but benefit immensely from the skills, and the exposure to potential jobs they may not ever have been exposed to.

These opportunities, ALL of them, are about opening up doors for young people.  Please let’s do whatever we can to open as many of those doors as possible?
Nicole