[Coral-List] The GBR has died (again).

angela dikou angeladikou at hotmail.com
Mon Mar 20 16:34:04 EDT 2017

Dear CoralListers,

we could also employ the relevant definitions of "death" for the geologic and the ecologic reef.

A geologic reef dies when its rate of accretion becomes lower than its rate of erosion ("switch off"); thus it cannot keep up with sea level rise ("drawning reef"). Geologic reef standoffs have been detected too. We can also now decipher that the geologic reef can migrate and this is how this (geologic-ecologic) system has survived successive glacial and interglacial periods in the geologic history; we have hermatypic and ahermatypic reefs. Our time scale is thousands of years. Factors of resilience?

An ecologic reef (ecosystem) can suffer numerous wounds in its living portion due to hurricanes, predators outbreaks, bleaching, freshwater, burial by sediment; some of them we now know are beneficial to avoid climax state with monospecific stands and monopolization of resources and promote high complexity (after the stressors are lifted). What we can now experience is a shift of the ecologic reef into digressive alternate states, e.g. from coral reefs to algal reefs, which has already started affecting the geologic reef because of directional forcing by a number of stressors; we are also familiar with spectacular cases of reef recovery (see Kaneohe bay, Hawaii). Our time scale is decades. Factors of resilience?

Because this same forcing affects undesirably everything, and not only reefs, I can understand an inevitable ending to this forcing and an opportunity to form such a new forcing, which is desirable, by utilising all these valuable knowledge, experiences, and technologies to surpass ourselves (the whole is more than the sum of its parts) and meet our challenges to the fullest.

Angela Dikou