[Coral-List] Evidence that ocean warming has caused most Caribbean coral loss

Richard Plate richarp33 at gmail.com
Tue May 2 06:29:31 EDT 2017

Ulf,

I'm unclear about what you mean by "dramatic" in this context.  Are you
saying that we have geological records showing us climatic changes similar
to the current changes in magnitude and rate of change that did not result
in massive reduction of corals and other species?

If so, could you direct me to a paper where I could read more about that
kind of comparison?

I'm referring to this statement:

"The hypothesis of those who warn of climate change seems to be that the
anthropogenic temperature changes at the present time are more dramatic
than anything in the past, and that they will lead to consequences that are
unique. They seem to think that past changes were never that dramatic. That
is where I beg to differ. In what we Earth Scientists call "Recent" time,
as late as a few hundred human generations ago, there were much larger and
at least as dramatic changes according to the geological archive."

Thanks for your help.

-Richard