[Coral-List] Evidence that ocean warming has caused most Caribbean coral loss

Risk, Michael riskmj at mcmaster.ca
Tue May 2 10:43:28 EDT 2017

   Good day.

   Sheesh, I hate agreeing with Ulf-but he is right on the money in two areas,
   one proximal and one distal. First of all, the only logical explanation for
   the   present   decline   in   coral   reefs  is  that  of  widespread
   pollution-"pollution" defined broadly as sediments, sewage, sunscreen,
   stuff. Secondly: coral reef science is supposed to be interdisciplinary, but
   some of you need to get out more and read more. (At some schools in the US,
   it is possible to obtain a PhD in “Ecology” without ever taking a course
   outside the Biology Department.)

   The  Younger  Dryas Event was a rapid onset of cooling of the northern
   hemisphere, believed to be triggered by a massive meltwater event that
   destabilized the Gulf Stream-although recently an asteroid impact has been
   suggested. How rapid is “rapid?"

   I suggest readers observe a paper with which I am familiar because it was
   written by my wife: Smith et al., 1997: Nature 386: 818-820. In this, the
   authors used isotope stratigraphy of deepwater corals in the return flow of
   the thermohaline circulation of the North Atlantic to tie down the onset of
   this event. They found that this happened in less than 4 years. Similarly,
   meltwater pulses of the early Holocene have produced increases in sea level
   of more than 13 m in less than 300 years. That is a rise in sea level equal
   to a person’s height during their lifetime. During these rises, as Walter
   Adey has shown, corals marched uphill and inland  (after waiting about 1,000
   years for waves and currents to prepare the substrate.)

   The onset of the Younger Dryas produced warmer waters in the Caribbean. It
   is even possible that, because the meltwater coming off North America would
   have been of low pH, this came along with reduced alkalinity. So-Caribbean
   experienced warm, maybe less alkaline, LOW-nutrient waters.

   I am unaware of any reorganization of the Caribbean coral fauna taking place
   12,000 years ago. I am, however, aware of several past coral extinctions
   that were triggered by nutrient excursions.

   Mike