[Coral-List] Is any reef "remote?"

Dennis Hubbard dennis.hubbard at oberlin.edu
Thu May 18 16:52:04 EDT 2017

Steve:

I agree and DO understand your concern. However, let me offer a different
perspective that is uncharacteristically optimistic for me.I made a
realization awhile back that I was missing something on the role of "local
action". Being a "sophisticated scientist", I often scoffed at local
efforts like getting pre- and grade-schoolers to plant trees. I found
myself thinking, "what a waste.... don't they get that they can't solve the
emissions problems by just planting trees?"

While I can't remember the particular occasion (I remember less and less as
time passes - too much to remember I guess), I distinctly recall "getting
it" by not looking at it quite so objectively. I realized that, if that kid
thinks "this is my tree" and worries about it, the next step is worrying
about other trees..... and eventually trees in general. So, the idea wasn't
to "solve the problem, one kid/tree at a time".... or, if I could borrow
your phrase, "do X and....  all will be well with the TREES". The idea is
to create buy-in subliminally at an early age - just like how the World
Bank and the WTO sneak in the, "it's all about the dollars" mentality that
leads to....... well, dare I say our administration?

I do understand that climate change "trumps" all. However, I can't
objectively quantify the relative impact of one strategy versus another....
and how that changes from one place to another. All else the same,
proximity to centers of stress matters..... but some reefs far from
populations have trouble too.... oh yeah, some close to seemingly stressful
situations (be it a city or a raging volcano) do fine in the long run; some
"well-managed" reefs far from population enters have done fine
historically... only to collapse more recently; some that we have left for
dead have arisen from the grave. So, how can we possibly turn these
vignettes into a universal management strategy?

I suggest that we stop trying to figure out which is the "better" or
"not-so-good" strategy and applaud folks for trying. And, don't take this
as my going off the deep and and getting mushy - it may be as simple as
"let's just not kid ourselves that we can do anything".... but then we'd
all have to get real jobs.

Younger researchers perceive "decline" on a different scale than those of
us who were fortunate enough to see reefs in far better shape in general -
and I'll bet our view of "pristine" is just as far off as theirs (hindsight
shows us that the decline had already begun in the "good old days" when we
were just out of school. From a geological perspective, when I think of the
"good old days", I'm thinking "early Holocene"... sea level was screaming
up, but was slowing to ca. 3.3 mm/yr at a time when the foundations of most
of the reefs presently at sea level were just coming into their own.
Unfortunately for reefs today, we're at that same 3.3 mm/yr threshold, but
the change is going in the "wrong" direction.We could wish that coral
growth = reef building and, therefore, that sea level can't ever get as
fast as corals/reefs can "grow". If wishes were horses......

Dennis