[Coral-List] Reef tourism

Mark Spalding mark at mdspalding.co.uk
Tue May 30 03:48:17 EDT 2017

Coral reef tourism can be a threat and a promise. In a new study we've
managed to map in quite some detail the spatial distribution of visitors (70
million a year) and spending ($36 Billion per year). Some 30% of the world's
reefs are generating tourism value. We distinguish between on-reef tourism
($19.5B), which is the fairly well appreciated aspect of diving, snorkelling
and glass-bottomed boats and "reef adjacent tourism" ($16.3B) which is the
often-overlooked value of calm, clear waters, superlative views, white sand
etc.

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0308597X17300635 (open
access)

The work just won a Tourism for Tomorrow prize
https://www.wttc.org/tourism-for-tomorrow-awards/winners-and-finalists-2017/
.. The data can also be explored at https://maps.oceanwealth.org

My feeling is that some tourism has the potential to be a force for good,
and in a few places it already is. By raising awareness of reef dependence
in the travel sector (the world's largest industry!) we hope to encourage a
greater taking of responsibility, not just by a few niche (and excellent)
resorts, but by a much broader part of the sector.

Hope it's of interest?

Mark Spalding

Mark D Spalding, PhD

Senior Marine Scientist, Global Ocean Team, The Nature Conservancy

   Chief Science Advisor to the Government of the British Indian Ocean
Territory

   Honorary Research Fellow, Department of Zoology, University of Cambridge

Department of Physical, Earth and Environmental Sciences, University of
Siena, Italy

E: mspalding at tnc.org <mailto:mspalding at tnc.org>