[Coral-List] Suitable lighting for coral maintenance in the aquarium

Damien Beri beridl at g.cofc.edu
Wed May 31 09:26:16 EDT 2017

All great advice! Love seeing the DIY advise here, definitely hard to come by trusted advise and instructions like those!

Personally, having built many a reef tank from pico to macro (>1500 g) I would recommend if you didn't want to DIY, and something semi reliable against salt creep and the tank depth is anywhere from 1-3 feet, a "Radion XR30w pro G4."  The lens of these lights helps to properly "blend" the LEDs together so you don't get hot spots where certain color spectrums are much more intense on certain locations.  Definitely a pricey option running at about 800$.  However you can program all the color channels independently, set the programming, and control the lighting via wi-fi from anywhere on your phone.  I have seen the best growth of corals, clams, and macro-algae all around with these lights.  They also have supported research articles depicting the best light programs to use and their customer support is great.  I don't work for them I promise.

A little cheaper options would be "Aquatic Illumination" or "kessil" products.  Like I said these are all non-DIY and a pricey way to go.

However supporting these companies helps to advance "coral lighting" research since that's their main focus.

Warm regards,
Damien Beri

Sent from my iPhone