[Coral-List] PhD opportunity: Multimodal communication in a changing world

Stephen Simpson simpsonstephen at hotmail.com
Sun Nov 5 12:18:33 EST 2017

[Sent by Steve Simpson, University of Exeter]

Dear all

We are looking for a suitable candidate for a PhD project investigating 'Multimodal communication in a changing world', as part of this year's NERC GW4+ Doctoral Training Partnership. This interdisciplinary project will use alarm signalling in coral reef fish (i) to investigate the relative use of different sensory channels and (ii) to explore how this multimodal communication is affected by various global pollutants.

The lead supervisor is Prof. Andy Radford (http://www.bio.bris.ac.uk/research/behavior/Vocal_Communication/home.html) in the School of Biological Sciences at the University of Bristol (http://www.bristol.ac.uk/biology/). Co-supervision will be provided by Dr Steve Simpson (Biosciences, Univ. Exeter), Prof. Nick Roberts (Biological Sciences, University of Bristol), Dr Christos Ioannou (Biological Sciences, University of Bristol) and Dr Shelby Temple (Azul Optics).

More details about the project, eligibility requirements and how to apply are available at http://nercgw4plus.ac.uk/project/multimodal-communication-in-a-changing-world/.

Please feel free to get in touch with me if you would like any further information before applying.

Best wishes

Andy Radford

Professor of Behavioural Ecology

School of Biological Sciences

Life Sciences Building

24 Tyndall Avenue

Bristol

BS8 1TQ

0117-3941197

http://www.bio.bris.ac.uk/research/behavior/Vocal_Communication/home.html

Dr Stephen D. Simpson
Associate Professor in Marine Biology & Global Change
University of Exeter

Biosciences, College of Life and Environmental Sciences
Geoffrey Pope, Stocker Road
Exeter, EX4 4QD, UK

Tel: +44 (0) 1392 722714 / +44 (0) 7900551883
Email: S.Simpson at exeter.ac.uk / simpsonstephen at hotmail.com
Web: http://biosciences.exeter.ac.uk/staff/index.php?web_id=Stephen_Simpson