[Coral-List] Hurricane effects on coral reefs

Eugene Shinn eugeneshinn at mail.usf.edu
Fri Nov 3 15:42:06 EDT 2017

Many of us have received reports of large sponges being choked and
killed by excessive mud sedimentation off the lower keys near where the
eye of Irma impacted the keys. Similar sponges elsewhere along the reef
tract were also affected but not killed. Previous surveys and mapping in
the Keys indicate Hawk channel in the most affected area of the Keys is
deeper and wider than in the less affected areas.  Divers will likely
agree that water clarity is generally less in that area of Hawk channel
compared to the upper and middle keys. We suggest Hawk channel contains
more fine-grained sediment in this wider and deeper area that was most
affected by the strongest part of Irma. In our new book Geology of the
Florida Keys We discuss the effects of earlier hurricanes on Florida
Keys Reefs including mud banks and mud islands in Florida Bay. More
details can be found at the website below. Gene

http://campaign.r20.constantcontact.com/render?m=1112454518762&ca=da0c11c2-dfb6-4bcf-98ea-7d17926a6048

--

No Rocks, No Water, No Ecosystem (EAS)
E. A. Shinn, Courtesy Professor