[Coral-List] coral calcifiction paper

Richard Dunne RichardPDunne at aol.com
Sun Nov 12 08:54:01 EST 2017

For measurement of solar radiation the authors chose sensors which
record units of lux (a measure of human visual perception of
brightness).  As far as I can tell these measurements were above water,
presumably on a horizontal surface (they don't say), although if this
was a buoy moving with wave motion then this would produce added
variability in the readings. They then use this as one of their
environmental inputs to their Structural Equation Modelling.

Lux cannot be converted to units of PAR (photosynthetically active
radiation) or irradiance unless you also know the spectral composition
of the light at the time of measurement. As regards photobiology and
coral calcification, measurements in lux are thus pretty meaningless.
Worse still the fact that underwater both the spectral power
distribution and irradiance will have varied with depth and changes in
water quality, the net effect is not encouraging if you are using this
to see if there is a relationship between calcification and solar
radiation.

The authors found that "the lack of correlation with light ......   are
inconsistent with anticipated results". Quelle suprise! Rubbish in -
rubbish out.

Richard P Dunne