[Coral-List] New RFP for Papahanaumokuakea - LOI due 10/26

Michelle Pico Pico at NFWF.org
Wed Oct 4 12:23:30 EDT 2017

Hello all,

I wanted to let you know that we have a new RFP out this year covering Papahanaumokuakea (NW Hawaiian Islands), and that corals are a priority for research. We are looking to support a research team with an award of up to $900,000. If you or someone you know is interested please go to http://www.nfwf.org/hawaiiconservation/thefund/Pages/home.aspx to learn about the priorities and the application process.

Our due date for a pre-proposal is October 26th!  We really want to see as many pre-proposals as possible, so I am hoping to circulate far and wide.  Some of the questions I have received that might be helpful to someone considering applying:

*         Is this a LOI or a proposal? - I think people should consider this an LOI.  If we get LOTS of pre-proposals then we will weed because we do not want people to go through the work when only one award is expected, but we don't need something fully 'baked' at this point.  We are looking for the 'ingredients'...what elements of the RFP priorities are they thinking about for their SOW, have they gotten agreement/interest from a qualified team for that SOW, do they understand that they will be securing the ship with either these or other funds as part of the project...

*         Is this RFP for a specific organization? - This is a very specific RFP and therefore I am getting feedback that people feel we might already have a 'grantee' in mind.  We do NOT have a team or organization specifically in mind and it is certainly possible that there could be several 'teams' with different SOWs that would apply from the same institution.

*         What if we can't do everything listed in the priorities or our interests are not listed? - That is expected and for this first year we want to get as many ideas around these themes as we can. There may be research ideas and/or management activities that the group did not think of or articulate that would still be of interest.  So if in doubt - SUBMIT...it is only two pages.

You are encouraged to reach out to me if you have any questions,

Michelle Pico
Program Director for Marine Conservation
National Fish and Wildlife Foundation
262-567-0601
pico at nfwf.org