[Coral-List] Publication notice submission

Chen Jit Ern jitern.chen at kaust.edu.sa
Wed Oct 25 13:15:37 EDT 2017

Dear Coral-list admin,

Could we post the following publication notice message in your next
dispatch? Thanks.

Dear colleagues,

We would like to share with you our recently published paper about the
identification of heat-stress activated retrotransposons in Symbiodinium
microadriaticum, and the evidence for recent expansion of associated
sequences in the genome.

Briefly, we have identified four Long Terminal Repeat (LTR) retrotransposon
from the Ty1-copia family that are upregulated under heat stress in the
coral symbiont Symbiodinium microadriaticum. We also show evidence that the
Ty1-copia retrotransposon class as a whole have had relatively high rates of
replication recently in the S. microadriaticum genome. This particular class
of retrotransposons have been found to be activated by a range of stress
conditions in other model organisms and there is evidence that the
replication of these "intracellular parasites" can lead to the evolution of
new, beneficial phenotypes. These findings could have interesting
ramifications for the ability of S. microadriaticum to adapt to higher ocean
temperatures.

Reference: Chen, J. E., G. Cui, X. Wang, Y. J. Liew & M. Aranda (2017)
Recent expansion of heat-activated  retrotransposons in the coral symbiont
Symbiodinium microadriaticum. ISME J.

Link: http://rdcu.be/w4d6
<http://em.rdcu.be/wf/click?upn=KP7O1RED-2BlD0F9LDqGVeSO4Obuh6ZcqySZG5S4ToP-
2Fo-3D_JrQWz4A4pT5N0NDU2WEF-2FnUiVVMNU-2Fszynr8N5MJo9NFZYbUS3bMkr3rwUXSvmE6H
0OfCiPev2jqeFAeDo2vHX7KrJRKeE1BRlNUQ-2FNaLqnzR52nDg73bxdl4hG52NoZcATx3DMlL7J
XbAN5c0YTMitPuTMGXsGQU6bJOffB-2BZD-2Fxgv7jJAILD0B-2FOoqMZJhgjnltwKV1jDgXq4ch
02sG8SbBmCFDQkloBvsMXBEdzjYj7-2BLPcwnetaQ4k5YbgNhSXU2aLIra2RswHnvTNGkFA-3D-3

Regards,

Jit Ern Chen

Regards,

Jit Ern CHEN

Post-Doctoral Fellow,

Red Sea Research Center (RSRC)

Building 2, Level 2, Room 2207-WS02

King Abdullah University of Science and Technology (KAUST)

Thuwal 23955-6900

Kingdom of Saudi Arabia

Mobile: +966 (0) 544700287

--