[Coral-List] Liagora outbreaks after hurricanes

Peter Mumby p.j.mumby at uq.edu.au
Sun Oct 29 09:45:12 EDT 2017

Hi folks

Continuing this thread, we saw Liagora outbreaks after hurricane Mitch in Belize and Typhoon Bopha in Palau. Bob Steneck refers to it as an 'ambulance chaser'!

In Palau, the magnitude of the Liagora outbreak was positively correlated to chronic wave exposure and coral settlement failed on those reefs affected.. Quite remarkably, although the Liagora canopy only existed for around 6 months, it created large areas where fish grazing were impeded. The alga Lobophora managed to get established in these refuges from herbivory and persisted for several years, slowing down subsequent coral recovery.

This story is covered in the following papers. Feel free to email me for PDFs.

Roff, G., I. Chollett, C. Doropoulos, Y. Golbuu, R. S. Steneck, A. L. Isechal, R. van Woesik, and P. Mumby. 2015. Exposure-driven macroalgal phase shift following catastrophic disturbance on coral reefs. Coral Reefs 34:715-725.

Doropoulos, C., G. Roff, M. Zupan, V. Nestor, A. L. Isechal, and P. J. Mumby. 2014. Reef-scale failure of coral settlement following typhoon disturbance and macroalgal bloom in Palau, Western Pacific. Coral Reefs 33:613-623.

Roff, G., C. Doropoulos, M. Zupan, A. Rogers, R. S. Steneck, Y. Golbuu, and P. J. Mumby. 2015. Phase shift facilitation following cyclone disturbance on coral reefs. Oecologia 178:1193-1203.

Doropoulos, C. D., G. Roff, M.-S. Visser, and P. J. Mumby. 2016. Sensitivity of coral recruitment to subtle shifts in early community succession. Ecology 98:304-314.

Cheers
Pete

Professor Peter J Mumby
Marine Spatial Ecology Lab