[Coral-List] Liagora outbreaks after hurricanes

Douglas Fenner douglasfennertassi at gmail.com
Mon Oct 30 15:47:01 EDT 2017

Liagora was also recorded following Hurricane Gilbert in Cozumel, Mexico,
in 1988.

Fenner, D. P. 1991. Effects of Hurricane Gilbert on coral reefs, fishes and
sponges at

    Cozumel, Mexico. Bulletin of Marine Science 48: 719-730.

Cheers,  Doug

On Mon, Oct 30, 2017 at 3:45 AM, Peter Mumby <p.j.mumby at uq.edu.au> wrote:

> Hi folks
>
> Continuing this thread, we saw Liagora outbreaks after hurricane Mitch in
> Belize and Typhoon Bopha in Palau. Bob Steneck refers to it as an
> 'ambulance chaser'!
>
> In Palau, the magnitude of the Liagora outbreak was positively correlated
> to chronic wave exposure and coral settlement failed on those reefs
> affected.. Quite remarkably, although the Liagora canopy only existed for
> around 6 months, it created large areas where fish grazing were impeded.
> The alga Lobophora managed to get established in these refuges from
> herbivory and persisted for several years, slowing down subsequent coral
> recovery.
>
> This story is covered in the following papers. Feel free to email me for
> PDFs.
>
> Roff, G., I. Chollett, C. Doropoulos, Y. Golbuu, R. S. Steneck, A. L.
> Isechal, R. van Woesik, and P. Mumby. 2015. Exposure-driven macroalgal
> phase shift following catastrophic disturbance on coral reefs. Coral Reefs
> 34:715-725.
>
> Doropoulos, C., G. Roff, M. Zupan, V. Nestor, A. L. Isechal, and P. J.
> Mumby. 2014. Reef-scale failure of coral settlement following typhoon
> disturbance and macroalgal bloom in Palau, Western Pacific. Coral Reefs
> 33:613-623.
>
> Roff, G., C. Doropoulos, M. Zupan, A. Rogers, R. S. Steneck, Y. Golbuu,
> and P. J. Mumby. 2015. Phase shift facilitation following cyclone
> disturbance on coral reefs. Oecologia 178:1193-1203.
>
> Doropoulos, C. D., G. Roff, M.-S. Visser, and P. J. Mumby. 2016.
> Sensitivity of coral recruitment to subtle shifts in early community
> succession. Ecology 98:304-314.
>
> Cheers
> Pete
>
> Professor Peter J Mumby
> Marine Spatial Ecology Lab
>
> School of Biological Sciences
> Goddard Building, Room 170
> University of Queensland
> St Lucia Campus
> Brisbane
> Qld 4072
> Australia
>
> www.marinespatialecologylab.org
> http://scholar.google.com/citations?user=X66LkeAAAAAJ
> Email: p.j.mumby at uq.edu.au
> Tel: +61 7 33651686
> Skype: pete_mumby

Douglas Fenner
Contractor for NOAA NMFS Protected Species, and consultant
PO Box 7390
Pago Pago, American Samoa 96799  USA

New online open-access field guide to 300 coral species in Chagos, Indian
Ocean
http://chagosinformationportal.org/corals

Saving corals from the effects of climate change.

http://discovery.economist.com/environment/5379134246001-saving-corals-from-the-effects-of-climate-change?kw=all&csid=ppc&ref=trump100

Open access.  17 minutes long.