[Coral-List] Calcification measurements via the 45Ca-uptake vs total alkalinity anomaly technique

Thomas Krueger thomas.krueger at epfl.ch
Mon Sep 4 08:33:04 EDT 2017

Hi everyone,

thanks for all the responses and comments from coral-listers to a range
of questions regarding coral calcification over the last year.
Considering the large feedback and interest, we would like to share the
final publication on the compatibility of 45Ca and TA calcification
estimates with everyone.

https://peerj.com/articles/3749/

Cohen et al. 2017 "Measuring coral calcification under ocean
acidification: methodological considerations for the 45Ca-uptake and
total alkalinity anomaly technique"

As the oceans become less alkaline due to rising CO2 levels, deleterious
consequences are expected for calcifying corals. Predicting how coral
calcification will be affected by on-going ocean acidification (OA)
requires an accurate assessment of CaCO3 deposition and an understanding
of the relative importance that decreasing calcification and/or
increasing dissolution play for the overall calcification budget of
individual corals. Here, we assessed the compatibility of the
45Ca-uptake and total alkalinity (TA) anomaly techniques as measures of
gross and net calcification (GC, NC), respectively, to determine coral
calcification at pHT 8.1 and 7.5. Considering the differing buffering
capacity of seawater at both pH values, we were also interested in how
strongly coral calcification alters the seawater carbonate chemistry
under prolonged incubation in sealed chambers, potentially interfering
with physiological functioning. Our data indicate that NC estimates by
TA are erroneously ~5% and ~21% higher than GC estimates from 45Ca, for
ambient and reduced pH, respectively. Considering also previous data, we
show that the consistent discrepancy between both techniques across
studies is not constant, but largely depends on the absolute value of
CaCO3 deposition. Deriving rates of coral dissolution from the
difference between NC and GC was not possible and we advocate a more
direct approach for the future by simultaneously measuring skeletal
calcium influx and efflux. Substantial changes in carbonate system
parameters for incubation times beyond two hours in our experiment
demonstrate the necessity to test and optimize experimental incubation
setups when measuring coral calcification in closed systems, especially
under OA conditions.

*--*

*Thomas Krueger */Postdoctoral Researcher/

Laboratory for Biological Geochemistry | École polytechnique fédérale de
Lausanne (EPFL)

*P*: (+41) 21 69 38039