[Coral-List] Invitation to the 9th International Symbiosis Society Congress

Jack C Koch jack.c.koch at gmail.com
Thu Sep 28 10:56:06 EDT 2017

Hi Coral Listers,

On behalf of the International Symbiosis Society, I would like to invite you to the 9th ISS Congress. The meeting will be held at Oregon State University, Corvallis, Oregon, USA from July 15-20, 2018. The ISS Congress is the sanctioned meeting of the International Symbiosis Society and is held every three years. It is the primary international meeting focusing on symbioses, including complex interactions between hosts and their microbiomes. The Congress is anticipated to bring together 400 symbiosis scientists from up to 20 nations to present the latest research in symbioses, their ubiquity in nature and their impact on all environments on the planet.

Please visit the ISS Congress 2018 website for more information on the meeting: https://symbiosissociety2018.org/

Follow ISS Congress 2018 on Twitter (@ISS_2018), Facebook (@ISSCorvallisOregonUSA2018), and Instagram (@ISS_2018)!

Abstract submission: January 1 – March 1. 2018

Registration begins: February 15, 2018

 The Congress will be organized around a series of cross-cutting themes:
Susceptibility and resilience of symbioses in the Anthropocene
Ecology of symbioses
Mechanisms of host-microbiome interactions
The host-microbe interface: signaling, recognition and regulation
Tinkering with symbiosis: experimental insights into host-symbiont systems
Rise and fall of symbiosis: evolutionary transitions
New tools and approaches for studying symbiosis

Keynote speaker: Ed Yong, science writer and author of the book on symbiosis: I Contain Multitudes

There will be eight plenary speakers. Speakers to date:
Betsy Arnold, U. of Arizona, USA
Ruth Gates, University of Hawaii, USA
Margaret McFall-Ngai, University of Hawaii, USA
Joel Sachs, University of California at Riverside, USA
Toby Spribille, University of Alberta, Canada
Liping Zhao, Rutgers University, USA, Shanghai Jiao Tong University, China

Some travel awards will be available to students

Features to plan for:
Field trips to the Oregon coast and mountains
Farm-to-table banquet at a local orchard

Watch the website and follow social media for updates. I hope you can join us!

Cheers,

Jack

************************************

Jack C Koch