[Coral-List] New paper: How fisheries scientists can use social media for public outreach, and why you should (principles apply to any discipline of science)

David Shiffman david.shiffman at gmail.com
Tue Apr 17 12:44:00 EDT 2018

Hello, everyone!

I have a new paper out today in Fisheries. It's all about the benefits of
social media tools for experts who want to engage in public education and
outreach. While the focus on fisheries science and management, the
principles described apply to any discipline in science.

The paper also includes a for-true-beginners guide to getting started using
twitter, Facebook (groups and pages,) and blogs. It highlights examples of
scientists, journals, agencies, non-profits, and universities that do a
good job using these tools.

The paper can be found here
https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/full/10.1002/fsh.10031

If anyone is already *on* twitter, I have a thread highlighting examples
from the paper starting here:
https://twitter.com/WhySharksMatter/status/986271587203670016

Please share with interested colleagues. .PDF available upon request if you
do not have access to Fisheries.

I'm always happy to answer any questions.

Sincerely,

--

*David Shiffman, Ph.D. *
Marine Conservation Biologist and Science Writer

*e: *david.shiffman at gmail.com | *t: *@WhySharksMatter
<http://twitter.com/#!/WhySharksMatter> |
*b: *Southern Fried Science Blog <http://www.southernfriedscience.com/> |
*cv:*