[Coral-List] Are reef ecologists capable of building the complex science needed?

Dennis Hubbard dennis.hubbard at oberlin.edu
Mon Apr 23 12:55:00 EDT 2018

I think the list in the document sent to the Listserve and Peter and I
specifically is fundamentally realistic. There are a couple of specifics
that might warrant re-examination. The search for thermally resistant
species can be problematic. If the idea is to use these for restoration,
there are potential issues at both the community and genetic scales. The
strength of any reef system (however compromised) is in its diversity. As a
result, approaches that attempt to identify the "fitter" organisms and use
them to create a "thermally resistant" community can backfire. Even if
these ultimately turn out to be more thermally robust, the reduced
diversity would likely put them (and the community they dominate) at risk
to the next *stress de jour* that comes along. REgarding agriculture, the
problem with nutrient-laden runoff extends well beyond *factory farms*.
Algal blooms in western Lake Erie are largely from privately owned "family
farms". Also, it is worth noting that these folks tend to model and monitor
their fertilizer applications, so the amounts going into the lake are note
huge releases based on some sort of "more is better" rationale. These folks
are operating at very narrow margins and every gram of fertilizer is lost
profits. I'm not sure how directly aquatic systems correlate with marine
ones, but my point here is that increased nutrients and the increased algae
they can cause are often the result of relatively small inputs and are,
therefore, even harder to mitigate (folks arguing against artificial shrimp
and fish farms may rightfully argue with this point - but the fact that
even small increases in nutrients can make a bigger difference than we
might all think.

Finally, I will repeat my comments on geological vs ecological vs
management perspectives. I am not advocating one over the other, but
ecologists tend to "count things" and try to come up with what are
effectively predator-prey models (think of rising temperature as prey here,
but perhaps "wolves, sheep, grass might be more appropriate"). Their focus
is on the impacts of the loss of key species, diversity or total abundance
as a measure of declining "reef health". Geologists think of the role that
these events play in controlling either spatial heterogeneity (as do
ecologists) and accretionary capacity. In this regard, our "enemy" is
sea-level rise. The impacts can range from changes in reef structure,
ecology, etc. as a reef lags behind rising sea level. This also extends to
include residents of small carbonate islands that depend on reefs for both
their livelihood and the ground they stand on. One might think of spatial
complexity as the tie between these two disciplines. High coral abundance
and diversity depend on the complex accretionary patterns of a reef keping
up with rising sea level. In turn, that complexity affects the abundance
and diversity of organisms living on an in the reef. Managers take all of
this and try to figure out how they can take all the things we argue about
as "reef scientists" and try to come up with ways to protect and/or "save"
reefs. Being the cranky sorts that we are, scientists feel compelled to
point out all the flaws in any plan that tries to pick winners and losers.

So, in the words of *Firesign Theatre* (you have to have seen a "healthy
ref" to understand this one, "We're all bozos on this bus".

Dennis

On Sun, Apr 22, 2018 at 12:58 PM, Dennis Hubbard <dennis.hubbard at oberlin.edu