[Coral-List] Call for writers!

Ashley M Dungan adungan at student.unimelb.edu.au
Mon Aug 13 05:55:02 UTC 2018

Have some reef love to share? Want to talk about recently published
research, the importance of certain organisms or share your experience in
the field? Then come write for us! We welcome all levels of writing
experiences and fields of marine science interest.

The International Society for Reef Studies (ISRS) student group manages a
blog site where students and early career researchers can share their reef
science with the broader community. Check out current blog entries and
subscribe to future posts here <https://reefbites.wordpress.com/>.
Interested in what the ISRS student group is doing? You can find more
information about us here <https://isrsreefstudents.wordpress.com/>. All
enquiries should be sent to isrs.students at gmail.com.

Write and Edit for Reefbites:

We are looking for senior undergraduates, graduates, postdocs, or
reef-loving enthusiasts who work in the field to join our team as a
permanent writer and editor. Your commitment would be to submit/edit a post
on a monthly or bi-monthly schedule based on current coral reef literature
(journal articles should not be more than 6 months old), your own research
or any related topics of discussion you are interested in.

Posts should be written for a general audience and be between 800-1,000
words. Reefbites’ mission is to engage students and the non-scientific
community to join the conversation of why reefs matter. Our writing
guidelines can be found here
<https://drive.google.com/file/d/1RXRaLuecwfj9_XrqL48vljhBJgNsN9av/view>and
our editing guidelines here
<https://drive.google.com/file/d/1ghg9-xgtlnr5OFKJKTKLqAEIksgscp08/view>.
To apply please review our guidelines and send us an 800-1,000 word post.

Can’t commit to a regular schedule but still want to write for us? We also
welcome Guest Writers.

Not sure how to get started? Check out this webinar
<https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PR6CLRkQ11I&t=169s> the ISRS student group
organised with Dr. Jenny Martin from the University of Melbourne.

Share pictures or videos with Reefbites:

More into visual story telling? Great! We are interested in a variety of
science communication tools.

We welcome pictures featuring students, professionals in the field, and
educators doing reef-related research or outreach activities. You can
submit your pictures along with a 200 word description and affiliation, and
they will be featured in our Gallery section as well as shared in the ISRS
Student Twitter, Facebook, and Instagram.

We welcome videos showing students, professionals, and research equipment
at work as well as outreach activities. You can submit your short videos
along with a 200 word description and affiliation, and they will be
featured in our Media section as well as shared in the ISRS Student
Twitter, Facebook, and Instagram.

--
Ashley M. Dungan, M.S.
PhD student