[Coral-List] National Academies Coral Interventions Report Release

Douglas Fenner douglasfennertassi at gmail.com
Tue Dec 4 02:55:02 UTC 2018

This report from the National Academy of Sciences on interventions to
increase the persistence and resilience of reefs has been released and can
be downloaded for free, open-access.

http://dels.nas.edu/Report/Research-Review-Interventions/25279?bname=osb

I'll paste in the table of contents below.

Cheers, Doug

Summary 1
1 Introduction 15
Global Climate Stressors 16
Disease 20
Local Stressors and Stress Prevention 21
Future Global Climate Projections 25
Study Task and Approach 28
2 Genetic and Reproductive Interventions 33
Managed Selection 34
Managed Breeding 38
Gamete and Larval Capture and Seeding 49
Coral Cryopreservation 52
Genetic Manipulation 54
3 Physiological Interventions 61
Pre-exposure 61
Algal Symbiont Manipulation 68
Microbiome Manipulation 75
Antibiotics 81
Phage Therapy 85
Antioxidants 87
Nutritional Supplementation 90
4 Coral Population and Community Interventions 93
Managing Coral Predators, Competitors, and Facilitators 93
Managed Relocation 94
5 Environmental Interventions 113
Shading of Coral Reefs 114
Mixing of Cool Water 118
Abiotic Ocean Acidification Interventions 120
Seagrasses Meadows and Macroalgal Beds 123
Guiding Themes 133
Considerations for Implementation 136
References 139
Glossary 183
Appendix A – Committee and Staff Biographies 187
Appendix B – Information-Gathering Meeting Agendas 191

On Tue, Nov 27, 2018 at 8:15 AM Tali Vardi - NOAA Affiliate <
tali.vardi at noaa.gov> wrote:

> NOAA sponsored a National Academy of Sciences Report on Interventions to
> Increase the Resilience of Coral Reefs. The first of two reports will be
> publicly released on Wednesday November 28th. Dr. Steve Palumbi, Chair of
> the Committee, will present the report during a public webinar at 1PM EDT.
> Please register to attend in person (in Washington DC) or on the web here
> <
> https://mailchi.mp/nas/upcoming-report-release-a-research-review-of-interventions-to-increase-the-persistence-and-resilience-of-coral-reefs?e=3b7f9cd075
> >.
> The report is nuanced but concise, thorough, and comprehensive, like a
> drinkable rosé. It provides a wonderful review of the state of the science
> and lays the groundwork for this field to charge forward and save the
> reefs.

Douglas Fenner
Ocean Associates, Inc. Contractor
NOAA Fisheries Service
Pacific Islands Regional Office
Honolulu
and:
Consultant
PO Box 7390
Pago Pago, American Samoa 96799  USA

Nations falling short of emissions cuts set by Paris climate pact, analysis
finds

http://www.sciencemag.org/news/2018/11/nations-falling-short-emissions-cuts-set-paris-climate-pact-analysis-finds?utm_campaign=news_daily_2018-11-28&et_rid=17045989&et_cid=2515903

Climate change poses major threat to the US, new government report concludes

http://www.sciencemag.org/news/2018/11/climate-change-poses-major-threat-us-new-government-report-concludes?utm_campaign=news_daily_2018-11-26&et_rid=17045989&et_cid=2511504

Broad threat to humanity from cumulative climate hazards intensified by
greenhouse gas emissions    (great graphic in Fig 1)

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41558-018-0315-6.epdf?shared_access_token=w2vydeAY_LtdzuwmJ8cv5tRgN0jAjWel9jnR3ZoTv0MpBFb5oK9YR4Jvx3dMn7ibkjfQYb-dSx_q1kIVe7wppn8j_ZJEZIpvonmAzHedBRnXfBuUXisIwaB-5BpuAv-sJ-tmB7I2QgY42PNFZCbTgFXd1RrLiFmxL7WqHaPVnnE%3D