[Coral-List] BCM identification

sealab at earthlink.net sealab at earthlink.net
Thu Dec 6 14:27:14 UTC 2018

Dear listers,
Just returned from a location I’ve been diving for decades and I noticed a distinct
 type of algae seemed to be proliferating. I’d seen it before, but only shore diving in
the shallows. Now I find it on deeper slopes and walls. I asked around and it seems
the consensus is that it is blue green/cyanobacteria. I did a little research and am wondering
if this could be an example of BCMs (benthic cyanobacterial mats). I have several
images that I can provide off-list for identification purposes. I found it on corals, sponges,
hard bottom and maybe even on sea turtles. I’m including a link to a paper on BCMs
that I found. https://www.nature.com/articles/srep08852. I tried to contact the author s,
but to no avail. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Regards,
Steve Mussman

Sent from EarthLink Mobile mail