[Coral-List] Yes, the Octopus Is Smart as Heck. But Why?

Douglas Fenner douglasfennertassi at gmail.com
Sun Dec 9 00:22:11 UTC 2018

It has eight arms, three hearts — and a plan. Scientists aren’t sure how
the cephalopods got to be so intelligent.

Read More... <https://nyti.ms/2DTnFOa?smid=nytcore-ios-share>

They talk about big brains, but actually Octopus and other cephalopods
don't have big brains, their brains are about the size of a rice grain.
Which just makes their intelligence all the more surprising and puzzling,
it seems to me.  But the cephalopods are all fabulous creatures.

There are links to several other interesting cephalopod stories at the end
of this story.

Cheers, Doug
--
Douglas Fenner
Ocean Associates, Inc. Contractor

Global warming will happen faster than we think.

https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-018-07586-5

Nations falling short of emissions cuts set by Paris climate pact, analysis
finds

http://www.sciencemag.org/news/2018/11/nations-falling-short-emissions-cuts-set-paris-climate-pact-analysis-finds?utm_campaign=news_daily_2018-11-28&et_rid=17045989&et_cid=2515903

Climate change poses major threat to the US, new government report concludes

http://www.sciencemag.org/news/2018/11/climate-change-poses-major-threat-us-new-government-report-concludes?utm_campaign=news_daily_2018-11-26&et_rid=17045989&et_cid=2511504