[Coral-List] exotic or invasive? introduction of Caribbean acroporiids to the pacific

Bill Raymond billraymond10 at yahoo.com
Mon Dec 17 23:33:12 UTC 2018

 Very interesting! I hope you get some answers, and I hope you get the chance to find out for yourself. Bravo.
    On Monday, December 17, 2018, 4:17:10 PM EST, Damien Beri via Coral-List <coral-list at coral.aoml.noaa.gov> wrote:

 Hello coral listers,

I have a question on what might happen if one was to introduce Caribbean Elkhorn and Staghorn coral back into the Pacific?

It is my understanding an ancestor of the two produced pelagic larvae, containing zooxanthellae and stored nutrients to make a rare oceanic crossing. A majority of Caribbean corals reproduce this way I believe.

I ask this hypothetical question on the basis of curiosity, and extinction prevention. Re-introduction of species will probably be a more suitable topic 50 years down the road.

Warm regards,
Damien Beri

-Masters In Marine Conservation and Policy
Stony Brook University

-Regulatory Compliance Intern
Billion Oyster Project

-Founder