[Coral-List] Fwd: exotic or invasive? introduction of Caribbean acroporiids to the pacific

Esther Peters estherpeters at verizon.net
Thu Dec 20 03:02:41 UTC 2018

Hi Damien and All,

At this time, I would say PLEASE DO NOT DO THIS!

I have found all Caribbean elkhorn and staghorn corals and their hybrids
that I have examined histologically (from throughout the Caribbean,
1970s to present) to be chronically infected with a primitive bacterium
(Rickettsiales?). This bacterium infects and kills their mucocytes and
may be contributing to the appearance of the tissue-loss disease
outbreaks when the corals are further stressed by seawater temperature
changes, nutrient loading, or reductions in zooplankton and other
non-/Symbiodinium/ food resources. We have many questions.

Similar-appearing suspect bacteria have also been observed in
Indo-Pacific corals. Did they arrive in the Caribbean after the Panama
canal opened or were they introduced by discharging of wastewaters from
aquaria that kept Indo-Pacific corals? Are they related, and if so, how
closely? Do they also contribute to diseases in the Indo-Pacific corals?

One of the biggest problems we have with globalization and species
transfers is the transfer of microscopic biotic parasites and pathogens
to new hosts who are highly susceptible to developing disease as a
result. As Vassil notes, serious scientific preparation and professional
responsibility are required with any introduction or transfer, but the
lack of such has no doubt contributed to species' extinctions. There is
so much we need to understand from a transdisciplinary perspective.
Invoking the precautionary principle, we cannot go there now, these
species are no longer what they used to be!

Esther Peters, Ph.D.

Department of Environmental Science & Policy

George Mason University