[Coral-List] Fwd: exotic or invasive? introduction of Caribbean acroporiids to the pacific

Dennis Hubbard dennis.hubbard at oberlin.edu
Fri Dec 21 20:20:45 UTC 2018

Ester's post reminds me about how historically important diseases have been
in the recent decline of reefs...... and the fundamental lack of clarity
when it comes to a) *really* knowing what is going on and b) how the myriad
proposed factors (and possible "fixes") fit into crafting effective
solutions.

None of what I am thinking about suggests that our understanding of root
causes is totally lacking or that we cannot consider general solutions
until we can identify them. Nevertheless, other than *Aspergiillosis*, we
are largely left with the reality reflected by Wikipedia - "that that the
coral is sick and the tissue is necrotic is apparent, but whether the fungi
or bacteria present caused the disease or merely fed on the already dying
tissue is not clear." Since Bill Gladfelter described what I believe was
the first recognized coral disease (in a classic paper that was largely
ignored for years until diseases "got really serious"), we now have *White
Band Disease*, *Black Band Disease*, *White Plague* ("sometimes caused
by…"), *Yellow-Band Disease* ("possibly cause by….?"), *Coralline Lethal
Orange Disease*, *White Band, Rapid Wasting*, *Black Necrosing Syndrom*e
("probably fungal?"), and *Target Phenomenon*, to name a few.... do a
color, a spatial pattern and a final scary descriptor reflect the depth of
our understanding?

Reflecting back of the diversity of opinions expressed in this venue
regarding "what is wrong with reefs", "how serious it is", "what we should
do about it", and "who is to blame", we are left with the simple and most
important reality that the rate of decline is growing faster than our
fundamental understanding of the processes involved. In the "good old
days", the focus was on the processes involved at various levels of the
reef system and how they interacted. Understanding the photosynthetic
pathways related to calcification were critical to deciding, for example,
whether management strategies should be more attuned to photosymbionts or
the corals that host them. Quantitatively understanding the relationships
between coral growth and reef building should be the underpinning of our
heterogeneity can both facilitate and be facilitated by organisms living in
and on the reef suggest that neither (or both) is the driver of the other.

As we first recognized the "decline" of reefs, our focus shifted
increasingly to "counting things" as a proxy for how serious the problem
way. We argued over protocols, confidence limits and other factors that
made one particular monitoring system "superior" to others. I'm pretty
sure  that we still have not come to complete agreement on this issue as we
argue over the relative value of historical descriptions vs mapping and the
differences in our understanding of "what is left" based on plan-view
transects vs chain transects vs complex 3-D representations generated by
computer manipulation of multiple images or videos.

So we are now left with the reality that over the past 3-4 decades we have
significantly increased our ability to measure what us on and in the reef.
We also have a growing sophistication of the genetic-level proxies that can
inform both the natural evolution and sensitivity of reef species to
stress. Unfortunately, as the list grows by the day, so does the severity
of the decline.

Reading over the above, I realize that I have not really added anything
other than a reminder that the larger historical and ecological realities
can get lost in our scientifically focused (limited?) perspective and a
zeal to "do something". But, after all, I'm just a scientist and we've
gotten really good at this. I suppose that my point is most simply to a)
emphasize Ester's reminder that applying disease ecology (and other
elements of ref science) to the growing issue of reef decline is very
complex and b) remind us that we really need to do a better job of
understanding fundamental  ecological realities on a variety of spatial and
temporal scales before we suggest clever fixes (e.g., creating super-corals
more tolerant to the "stress du jour", focusing on fast-growing but fragile
corals in transplanting programs to facilitate "reef growth", moving corals
(and other organisms) into alternative habitats as a realistic offset to
significant disruption in coastal projects)..... the list goes on

Best wishes for the holidays and the future of the system we all cherish,

Dennis

On Fri, Dec 21, 2018 at 9:18 AM Esther Peters via Coral-List <