[Coral-List] Coral-List Shutdown

Douglas Fenner douglasfennertassi at gmail.com
Fri Dec 21 22:16:51 UTC 2018

Congratulations once again to Jim, Mike and Lew, the coral-list team, on
the ever-expanding number of subscribers to coral-list, 8000 last I knew
and now 9,700!!!  I think this is more evidence (along with the daily flow
of informative posts) that coral-list fills a very useful and helpful niche
for those working on coral reefs, which nothing else fills.  Thank you and
bravo!!

Other super helpful things for coral reef people are the International
Coral Reef Symposia (ICRS) on coral reefs, one coming up, and more local
meetings.

The International Coral Reef Society not only helps arrange and support the
ICRS's, it has activities like producing policy statements on reefs and
threats, and produces "Reef Encounter" the society newsletter, all issues
of which are available open-access on the society website!  Join the only
society for people studying and working with coral reefs!  Further, the
journal "Coral Reefs" is produced by Springer in association with the
society.  Among the many scientific journals that carry coral reef articles
and are critical to our work, "Coral Reefs" is the only journal that has
only coral reef articles, and so it has more coral reef articles than any
other journal.  It has grown over the years so now each issue has more
articles.  It now has a high impact factor, because of the high quality of
articles.  Further, it is a society journal.  Almost all society journals
are less expensive than non-society journals, and that is certainly true of
Coral Reefs.  In addition, there are discounts for online only
subscriptions, subscriptions in developing countries, and multi-year
subscriptions.  It is a FANTASTIC bargain.  Check out joining the
International Coral Reef Society today, it comes with the great discounts
on Coral Reefs, the only way you can get those discounts!!
https://coralreefs.org   Check it out!!
Cheers, Doug

On Fri, Dec 21, 2018 at 9:58 AM James Hendee via Coral-List <

> Seasons Greetings to all 9,700 (+-) Coral-Listers,
>
>     Unfortunately, it appears there is a good chance that the U.S.
> Government will be shut-down and be partially inoperable after midnight
> tonight.  I'm afraid Coral-List, too, will have to be shutdown until our
> Congress agrees upon procedures to re-open the government.
>
>     Thank you all for your continued support of Coral-List, and it
> appears we will see you again next year!
>
>     Sincerely yours,
>     Your Coral-List Administrators,
>         Jim Hendee
>         Mike Jankulak, and
>         Lew Gramer

Douglas Fenner
Ocean Associates, Inc. Contractor
NOAA Fisheries Service
Pacific Islands Regional Office
Honolulu
and:
Consultant
PO Box 7390
Pago Pago, American Samoa 96799  USA

Global warming will happen faster than we think.

https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-018-07586-5

Nations falling short of emissions cuts set by Paris climate pact, analysis
finds

http://www.sciencemag.org/news/2018/11/nations-falling-short-emissions-cuts-set-paris-climate-pact-analysis-finds?utm_campaign=news_daily_2018-11-28&et_rid=17045989&et_cid=2515903

Climate change poses major threat to the US, new government report concludes

http://www.sciencemag.org/news/2018/11/climate-change-poses-major-threat-us-new-government-report-concludes?utm_campaign=news_daily_2018-11-26&et_rid=17045989&et_cid=2511504