[Coral-List] Coral Reef Ecology Field Course - Maldives

Michael Sweet M.Sweet at derby.ac.uk
Tue Feb 13 08:43:47 EST 2018

Dear Coral-List
Announcing new dates for a coral reef ecology course in the Maldives. The University of Derby's Tropical Marine Biology module is available for any participants the world over. The course will run from the 5th June till the 15th 2018.
In brief - this short course aims to introduce tropical marine biology and more specifically coral reef ecology to you (the student), giving you a broad range of knowledge in this area. It is designed to give a blend of lectures and field experience allowing those with little knowledge to get up to speed whilst still providing a novel learning experience for those with background knowledge in this area. During the first four days you will have general coral reef ecology lectures on corals, sponges, effects of climate change on reefs, reef restoration and reef survey methods for example, then in the latter half of the week you will have time to conduct your own research project on our privately owned research islands.
This (credit bearing) short course will give you the opportunity to learn the theory of tropical marine biology in a field setting, and gives a hands-on, real life experience of field ecology.
The course offers you the opportunity to see one of the most biodiverse habitats in the world and understand how the coral reefs in particular are being affected by climate change.
We also offer the ability to learn a broad range of field-based skills which will give you a unique base line understanding of the whole of coral reef ecology.
It is taught in a way which offers flexible learning opportunities allowing the encouragement of group work and collaboration with students and staff from around the world.
We will be running our course this year in the southern atolls of the Maldives at the Small Island Research Lodge. From here we have the use of two private islands to conduct our field courses and your own individual research project.
The course is credit bearing (Undergraduate or Masters Level - 20 points UK system) which is transferable across Universities but please inquire within your own University beforehand to ensure your specific institution facilitates this.
The cost is £2000 and this covers everything except your international flight for which you need to organise yourself. Included in the price is; national flights return trip from Male to the research island, transit once in the Maldives (speed boat), accommodation, food and all course based trips once at the research station (inc dolphin watching for example).
To express interest please contact Dr Michael Sweet at m.sweet at derby.ac.uk<mailto:m.sweet at derby.ac.uk>
To confirm your space you will need to book onto the trip with a deposit of £1000 following the link; https://unishop.derby.ac.uk/product-catalogue/college-of-life-natural-sciences/short-courses/tropical-marine-biology-short-course-2018-split-payments

Kind Regards

Dr Michael Sweet

Associate Professor in Aquatic Biology and Head of the Aquatic Research Facility
The Environmental Sustainability Research Centre
College of Life and Natural Sciences
University of Derby
DE22 1GB
UK

Tel: 01332592398
Mobile: 07895155968
Skype: m.j.sweet
Twitter: @DiseaseMatters

The University of Derby has a published policy regarding email and reserves the right to monitor email traffic.
If you believe this was sent to you in error, please reply to the sender and let them know.

Key University contacts: http://www.derby.ac.uk/its/contacts/