[Coral-List] How are Florida corals faring in this cold snap?

K-le Gomez-Cabrera klegomez at uq.edu.au
Sun Jan 7 21:36:45 EST 2018

Hi all,

Has anyone checked corals in Florida (or other parts of the northern Caribbean) where temperatures have plummeted? I'm wondering because we are so focussed now on bleaching due to high temperatures that I think we have forgotten that corals can also bleach due to extremely low temperatures; and after reports of frozen sharks, turtles being paralysed and iguanas falling from trees, I'm concern for the organisms that cannot move. Are they coping?

Cheers,

K-le

Dr Maria del Carmen (K-le) Gomez Cabrera
Marine Palaeoecology Lab.
School of Biological Sciences
The University of Queensland, QLD 4072
Australia
Ph: +61 7 3365 7262 / Fax: +61 7 3365 4755
Visit marinepalaeoecology.org<http://www.marinepalaeoecology.org/>
Visit www.australiancoralreefsociety.org<http://www.australiancoralreefsociety.org/>

"The trouble with fiction... is that it makes too much sense. Reality never makes sense" - Aldoux Huxley