[Coral-List] terminology for coral tissues and ultrastructural features

Lorenzo Menzel lorenzo.menzel at fiu.edu
Mon Jan 8 17:15:22 EST 2018

Hi Thomas,

There may seem to be different terms used for similar tissues, but
your example of coenosarc and coenenchyme for tissue between polyps
might not be the best: coenosarc is mainly used with hard corals, i.e.
hexacorallia, while coenenchyme is used mainly with soft corals e.g.
octocorallia in my experience. In fact I have used coenenchyme for an
octocoral in a 2015 publication (Histology and ultrastructure of the
coenenchyme of the octocoral Swiftia exserta, a model organism for
innate immunity/graft rejection) based on the precedents set by Bayer
in 1956, 1961, 1974, and 1983; Kingsley in 1982 and 1983; von Koch in
1887; and Silveira and van't Hoff in 1977.

Lorenzo