[Coral-List] Volunteer opportunity working on reefs in Palau

Nicolas Evensen nicolas.r.evensen at gmail.com
Mon Jan 8 18:39:06 EST 2018

Hi everyone,

We are looking for volunteers to help conduct research at the Palau
International Coral Reef Center from mid-March to early July 2018.

We are PhD students from the Marine Spatial Ecology Lab at the University
of Queensland, supervised by Peter Mumby. Our respective research projects
are on coral spawning and recruitment, and fish herbivory. Perspective
volunteers will be expected to help with both field (snorkeling and diving)
and lab work (tank experiments). Volunteers are required to have a rescue
diver certification, or equivalent, and, ideally, some previous experience
with field work.

It is important to point out that we would need people that are able to
fund their own trip - this includes flights to Palau, accommodation, and
food in Palau. The food cost is comparable to that of the US, with the US
dollar being the local currency (and there will be a kitchen available to
prepare meals), while the accommodation can be shared with other volunteers
to save costs. In return, this would be a great opportunity for someone to
get hands-on experience in coral reef research, and enjoy free diving in
Palau.

If interested, and available for any length of time between early mid-March
and early July, please do not hesitate to contact us:

n.evensen at uq.edu.au

l.puk at uq.edu.au

Cheers,

Nick and Laura