[Coral-List] terminology for coral tissues and ultrastructural features

Esther Peters estherpeters at verizon.net
Thu Jan 11 22:24:16 EST 2018

Hi All,

Esti Winter-Kramarsky and I prepared the Glossary of Coral Anatomy and
Histopathology Terms as a result of discussions among the veterinary and
invertebrate pathologists at the Coral Disease and Health Consortium's
workshop: Coral Histopathology II workshop held in 2005, on the need for
consistency and clarity to describe the locations of lesions. We
realized then--and confirmed this during our research--that multiple
terms have been used for the same cells and structures (as is true in
human anatomy and histology) and that definitions written over the years
have been confusing and sometimes not appropriately used in the
literature. We consulted with Walter Goldberg, Daphne Fautin, Steve
Cairns, and Jaroslaw Stolarski (and others), to identify and define the
terms, and included historical notes about why some terms were used but
changed. Lorenzo noted that coenosarc applies to hard corals, but
coenenchyme to soft corals, but Walter explained to me that coenosarc
really meant the thin tissue covering the outside of some hydroids and
that coenenchyme ("common tissue") should be used for both colonial
octocorals and hexacorals (so coenosarc does not appear in that glossary).

I was asked to contribute the chapter, "Anatomy," to the book, /Diseases
of Coral/ (ed. Woodley et al. 2016;
https://www.wiley.com/en-us/Diseases+of+Coral-p-9780813824116). This
illustrated chapter describes the gross and microscopic anatomy of the
anthozoan corals, updating and expanding the material from the workshop
glossary through the literature available to 2014 (it took a couple of
years to get published). I hope that this peer-reviewed chapter will
serve as the "standard" for anatomical terms of corals. It is now one of
my resources for the course I teach on coral histopathology. Of course,
continuing research will provide new discoveries that may require
adopting new terms, and the glossary must evolve (I know there are some
updates to be made, I hope someone else will do this in the future).

Esther Peters, Ph.D.
George Mason University
Department of Environmental Science & Policy
Fairfax, VA