[Coral-List] Invitation to a town hall mtg on Dynamic Ocean Management - Monday, February 12, 12:45 PM - 1:45 PM

John Ogden jogden at usf.edu
Wed Jan 24 16:11:53 EST 2018

Hello Heather,

Your post prompts me to ask: What is dynamic ocean management?"

Over the past 20-odd years we have implemented and/or discussed Marine
Protected Areas (MPAs)-- some at the scale implied by the word ocean;
Ecosystem-Based Management (EBM) which was implicitly focused on areas
larger than typical MPAs and was centrally concerned with the dynamic
nature of ocean ecosystems; and, most recently Regional Ocean Management
(ROM) , exemplified in the U.S. by the 2015 major report of the
Inter-agency Ocean Management Task Force which spurred the development
of more comprehensive ocean management plans in the New England and
Mid-Atlantic Regions.  Of course, one can argue whether or not any of
these efforts have reversed the trajectory of decline of ocean
resources.  I suspect that Dynamic Ocean Management (DOM) is a response
to this frustration, but how is it different from or similar to these
initiatives?

The words matter.  Thanks for pointing me and perhaps others in the
right direction.

Best wishes,
John Ogden

On 1/24/2018 12:23 PM, Heather Welch wrote:
> My colleagues and I are convening a town hall meeting on dynamic ocean management at the Ocean Science meeting on Feb 12th, 12:45-1:45pm.
>
> Given the focus of your organized session, we think this might be of interest to you and your speakers and we were hoping you might be willing to share this invitation with your speakers/colleagues.
>
> The intent of the town hall is to initiate dialogue and conversations among the ocean science community of managers, scientists, industry and resource users, and policy makers to discuss opportunities, challenges and potential solutions to adoption and implementation of dynamic ocean management. The town hall will also feature current and in-development dynamic ocean management applications.
>
> A flyer/invite is copied below with more info and RSVP details. Please share and don't hesitate if you have any questions. We hope to see you there!
>
> -----------------------
>

> Dynamic ocean management:
>
> Supporting sustainable use of the ocean
> Opportunities, challenges and solutions
> Monday, February 12, 2018: 12:45 PM - 1:45 PM
> Oregon Convention Center, E141-E142
>
> Food, drinks, networking, community engagement! Space is limited. RSVP at
>
> https://www.eventbrite.com/ (search for dynamic ocean).
> *All attendees must be registered for the Ocean Sciences Meeting
> Join the conversation about dynamic ocean management!
> Dynamic ocean management is an emerging approach to ocean management that relies on current data to guide the temporal and spatial distribution of resource and oceanscape use. Developed to address a fundamental challenge – how to balance economic viability with ecological sustainability– and fueled by advances in remote sensing, archival tagging, hand-held technology, and species-distribution modelling, dynamic ocean management approaches provide critical information to ocean users and managers on changing ocean conditions and ecosystems.
>
> Come to the town hall to:
> -Learn about new applications of dynamic ocean management from around the
> world
> -Engage with the ocean science community (managers, scientists, industry and resource users, and policy makers) to discuss opportunities, challenges and potential solutions to widespread adoption and implementation of dynamic ocean management.
> -Share your expertise and explore new ideas on the future of dynamic ocean management

The key question-- bearing not only on science
but all our beliefs about what is right and what
wrong, social progress, and justice– that we must
urgently answer is: "How do we know what is true?"
(W.F. Doolittle)

John C. Ogden
USF Professor Emeritus, Integrative Biology
190 18th Avenue North
St. Petersburg, FL 33704 USA
Cell: 727-641-4673
Email: jogden at usf.edu