[Coral-List] 2014 – 2017 Global Coral Bleaching Event - Closing data collection

Mark Eakin - NOAA Federal mark.eakin at noaa.gov
Thu Jul 12 10:15:15 EDT 2018

NOAA's Coral Reef Watch (CRW) will be closing its call for data
contributions regarding the *recent (2014 – 2017) Global Coral Bleaching
Event as of **July 27, 2018**. *

CRW thanks the > 70 individual contributors and 7 regional/international
databases that have shared data with us. We have collated > 11,500
observations so far. A map of these observations with information on date
and source can be accessed here
<https://coralreefwatch.noaa.gov/satellite/research/coral_bleaching_report.php>
..

If you would like to be a part of this effort, please see below for more
information and be sure to send us your data by July 27, 2018

Cheers,
C. Mark Eakin
Coordinator – NOAA Coral Reef Watch

The recent (2014 – 2017) Global Coral Bleaching Event greatly accelerated
coral loss and reef degradation worldwide. NOAA Coral Reef Watch
<https://coralreefwatch.noaa.gov/satellite/index.php> is continuing to
determine the severity and distribution of coral bleaching and mortality
resulting from this event and compare these with satellite measurements of
bleaching heat stress. This will culminate in a summary paper, led by me,
that will target a high impact scientific journal, similar to Eakin *et al*..
(2010) Caribbean Corals in Crisis: Record Thermal Stress, Bleaching, and
Mortality in 2005. *PLoS ONE* 5(11): e13969
<http://journals.plos.org/plosone/article?id=10.1371/journal.pone.0013969>.

*We are contacting you to request any observational data on bleached AND
non-bleached corals you might have from 2014-2017.*

*Benefits of responding to this request:*

(1)   All significant data contributors will be included as co-authors on
the summary paper (as mentioned above), and we will endeavor to acknowledge
all contributors. Because of the broad scale of this paper, contributing
your data to this analysis *should in no way interfere with any local or
regional papers* you may be planning about bleaching on your reefs during
2014-2017.

(2)   Authors of local or regional papers regarding bleaching on your reefs
during 2014-2017 can submit their manuscripts to *Coral Reefs* for the
Special Issue that will be entirely devoted to the Global Coral Bleaching
Event that occurred during this period. Mark Eakin at NOAA’s Coral Reef
Watch, Rusty Brainard at NOAA’s Pacific Islands Fisheries Science Center,
and Hugh Sweatman of the Australian Institute of Marine Science are serving
as guest editors of this Special Issue. Click here
<https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&ved=0ahUKEwj-v5zFwf3ZAhXtxlkKHbVwBQIQFggsMAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.springer.com%2Fcda%2Fcontent%2Fdocument%2Fcda_downloaddocument%2FCall%2Bfor%2BPapers_Global%2BCoral%2BBleaching%2BEvent.pdf%3FSGWID%3D0-0-45-1620827-p1047854&usg=AOvVaw1BpOsIzVzz2XMlUJGucEwh>
for
more details.
*Ways in which you can contribute data:*

(1)   E-mail your data files (in Excel, Word, etc.) directly to
coralreefwatch at noaa.gov, OR

(2)   Enter your data into Coral Reef Watch’s Google Form
<https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSeqyolmVAwb-1awNrkBbp2kaDgB5IMdOvO9HspZB3rjjvVprA/viewform>,
OR

(3)   Download Coral Reef Watch’s bleaching questionnaire from our website
<https://coralreefwatch.noaa.gov/satellite/research/coral_bleaching_report.php>,
enter your data, and e-mail the completed questionnaire back to
coralreefwatch at noaa.gov.
Denise Devotta, a Scientist with NOAA Coral Reef Watch, is coordinating the
collection of these data and may follow-up with you as we proceed with the
analysis for the summary paper.

Please forward this email to your colleagues who might have data to
contribute to this effort. We look forward to collaborating with you. Do
not hesitate to contact us (c <coralreefwatch at noaa.gov>
oralreefwatch at noaa.gov <coralreefwatch at noaa.gov>) with any follow-up
questions.