[Coral-List] New paper on local management actions and coral resilience

Elizabeth Schrack liz.schrack at gmail.com
Mon Jun 25 16:29:27 EDT 2018

Hi everyone,
We are excited to announce the publication of our paper “Local management actions can increase coral resilience to thermally-induced bleaching” in the journal Nature Ecology & Evolution. In this study, we use a survey of 6 coral reefs in the Florida Keys, a questionnaire of 31 coral reef management agencies across the globe, and a manipulative field experiment during a warm temperature and bleaching event to evaluate how a common local management intervention can increase coral resilience to climate change. Manual removals of coral predators, the model management intervention used in our study, before and during warm temperatures significantly increased both coral resistance to bleaching and recovery after bleaching. We believe this work highlights the important role that local management actions can play in the protection of coral reefs as well as the need for further evaluation and identification of other approaches that can enhance coral resilience.

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41559-018-0589-0 <https://www.nature.com/articles/s41559-018-0589-0>

Please do not hesitate to email me with questions.

Sincerely,
Liz

Elizabeth Shaver, PhD

Reef Resilience Network Restoration Lead
In support of
Reef Resilience Program
The Nature Conservancy

lizcshaver at gmail.com