[Coral-List] JOB: Marine Biology Technician - Smithsonian - MarineGEO
MarineGeo at si.edu
Fri Mar 30 12:22:28 EDT 2018
The Smithsonian Institution seeks an energetic, field-oriented marine biologist to support the Marine Global Earth Observatory (MarineGEO)<http://marinegeo.si.edu/>, a growing network of partners collaborating to understand how coastal ecosystems work and how to keep them working in a changing ocean. The partnership is coordinated by the Smithsonian’s Tennenbaum Marine Observatories Network (TMON) and applies standardized observations and coordinated experiments to long-term research on biodiversity and functioning in shallow waters. The network includes the Smithsonian’s field facilities in Maryland (Smithsonian Environmental Research Center), Florida (Smithsonian Marine Station), Belize (Carrie Bow Cay Field Station), and Panama (Smithsonian Tropical Research Institute, Bocas del Toro Station), and a growing list of partner institutions.
* Provide technical support for a range of field and laboratory activities.
* Field sampling, identification of marine organisms.
* Conduct field and laboratory experiments.
* Prepare and curate preserved specimens and tissues for genetic analysis.
* Deposit and manage specimens in museum collections.
* Maintain and retrieve data from environmental monitoring instruments.
* Manage, enter, and analyze data.
* Assist in preparation and publication of reports, proposals, and manuscripts.
The successful candidate will demonstrate:
* Practical knowledge of biology and taxonomy of marine organisms and marine research procedures.
* Ability to operate small boats (strongly preferred).
* SCUBA certification and scientific diving experience (AAUS certification strongly preferred, or must be completed soon after accepting the position).
* Detail oriented, responsible, and prepared to work in challenging field conditions.
* Competence in computer use, data entry and management, statistical analysis, and effective writing skills.
* Ability to travel domestically and internationally.
* Facility working on international teams. Ability to communicate in Spanish is a plus, but not required.
* Bachelor's degree (with Master's strongly preferred) in Biology, Marine Science, or related field.
* Able to obtain and maintain a valid passport for travel purposes.
This is not a Federal Position, but has similar requirements and benefits.
Location: This position is based at the Smithsonian Environmental Research Center (Edgewater, MD).
Travel: Regular, domestic and international.
Salary and benefits: Equivalent to Federal GS 7/9, commensurate with experience.
Please send application as a single PDF file to MarineGEO at si.edu using the subject line “Application: Marine Biology Technician” in the email. The PDF should include: (1) a current curriculum vitae; (2) a 1 page summary of career goals, experience, and interests relevant to the MarineGEO program; and (3) a list of three references (name, current title, postal address, email address, and phone number). Reference letters and educational transcripts may be requested from select candidates.
Review of applications will begin on 10 April 2018 and will continue until the position is filled.
The Smithsonian Institution is an equal opportunity employer. Candidates of all backgrounds are encouraged to apply.
More information about the Coral-List