[Coral-List] Coral on the Great Barrier Reef was 'cooked' during 2016 marine heatwave. REALLY? REALLY? REALLY? #2

Mark Eakin - NOAA Federal mark.eakin at noaa.gov
Fri May 4 10:26:02 EDT 2018

Scott,

Our Hughes et al. Nature paper from March 2017 analyzed for proximity to
nutrient sources and saw no significant impact on bleaching.  While the
bleaching (Hughes et al. March 2017 Nature), and our mortality paper
(Hughes et al. April 2018 Nature) both indicate that bleaching and
mortality were more severe than expected for the level of heat stress in
the Northern and Far Northern GBR, this is not unusual for reefs that have
not experienced prior heat stress. Bleaching patterns in the Central GBR in
2016 and 2017 were consistent with our usual heat stress thresholds used in
Alert Levels 1 & 2.

I fully agree that nutrients can have an impact on bleaching and mortality
in some corals. Of course, they can be an even bigger factor in recovery.
However, if nutrients were a driving factor in the 2016 and 2017 GBR
bleaching, we would have expected higher bleaching closer to nutrient
sources and lower away from them -- such as the Far North. Instead, we saw
the opposite.

We would be glad to work with you on a more in-depth analysis of the
potential interactions of heat stress and nutrients during these bleaching
events if you have hypotheses you think could be tested using field data on
bleaching and nutrients along with our data on heat stress.

Cheers,
Mark

--

C. Mark Eakin, Ph.D.
Coordinator, NOAA Coral Reef Watch
e-mail: mark.eakin at noaa.gov
Twitter: @CoralReefWatch <https://twitter.com/coralreefwatch> FB: Coral
Reef Watch <https://www.facebook.com/coralreefwatch/>

NOAA Center for Weather and Climate Prediction (NCWCP)
5830 University Research Ct., E/RA32
College Park, MD 20740
Office: (301) 683-3320     Fax: (301) 683-3301
Mobile: (301) 502-8608    SOCD Office: (301) 683-3300

"A world without coral reefs is unimaginable."
Dr. Jane Lubchenco, March 25 2010