[Coral-List] Carbonate production

Robert van Woesik rvw at fit.edu
Thu May 10 14:12:56 EDT 2018

Hi all,

I'd like to make you aware of the latest publication from my lab on estimates of carbonate production in Palau and Yap. These coral-reef systems are healthy, in fact some of the healthiest on the planet. Unremarkably we found considerable spatial differences in potential carbonate production across the reefs, but the most interesting result was that the nearshore reefs had a lower capacity to produce carbonate than the patch reefs in the lagoon and the outer reefs. Therefore,  nearshore reefs need higher coral cover than other reefs to produce enough carbonate to keep up with sea-level rise. These results stress the need to reduce land-based pollution and sediment as the climate continues to change.

Whether reefs will be able to keep up with continued sea-level rise is largely dependent on future rates of sea-level rise, on future responses of reef accreting organisms to ocean warming, on controlling local pollution, and on the judicious management of land-use change.

In the spirit of open access, we have made all the data and the R code accessible at:

http://journals.plos.org/plosone/article?id=10.1371/journal.pone.0197077

Rob van Woesik

Robert van Woesik, Ph.D.
Professor
Department of Biological Sciences
Florida Institute of Technology
Melbourne, Fl 32901, USA

Director of the Institute for Research on Global Climate Change
Co-Director, Ocean 2100, Pillar of Excellence at the Florida Institute of Technology
Fellow of the International Society for Reef Studies (ISRS)

Profile<http://www.fit.edu/faculty/profiles/profile.php?value=169>
Citations<http://scholar.google.com/citations?user=GZLhRJAAAAAJ&hl=en>