[Coral-List] "Bleaching" 3D printed coral polyp model available (new coral education product)

Paulo Maurin - NOAA Affiliate paulo.maurin at noaa.gov
Mon May 14 14:54:04 EDT 2018

Dear Coral Community,

I am happy to share with this community a new education & outreach
tool developed by our NOAA Office for Coastal Management, and the
Coral Program - a 3D printed coral polyp model that, when printed with
thermal filament, mimics a bleaching response. When exposed to warm
water, the polyp will then mimic the loss of its symbiotic
zooxanthellae algae within and turn white. When the polyp is taken out
of the water, it cools down a few seconds later and the original color
returns, signaling the return of the coral to a healthy state.

This 3D coral polyp model shows a cross section of a single polyp,
including its tentacles, gastrodermis, stomach cavity, and the complex
skeletal structure underneath. Each half has interlocking pegs that
allow a full polyp to click together, and hexagonal base allows for
multiple printed polyps to be assembled into a "colony." We've been
successfully testing this product at outreach events: students,
teachers, and parents have liked and has proven to be a great hands-on
activity for introducing them to concepts of basic coral biology,
symbiotic relationships, climate change, and resilience.

If you have access to a 3D printer, you can download the files here
and print them at your lab/offices:
https://coralreef.noaa.gov/education/polypmodel.html

The page also has a video that provides product background and
illustrates its uses.

I wanted to thank the supportive coral community here for providing
early feedback and suggestions when we were developing this product
last year. Since this is a new product, I am interested in hearing how
it does "out in the field" - let me know how you use it and how it
engages students and the public.

Teach on,

Paulo Maurin
--