[Coral-List] Drill Inquiry

Margaret Miller m.miller at secore.org
Wed May 16 09:38:50 EDT 2018

Thanks to all who provided very helpful feedback to my request regarding
the Nemo drills.  I will provide a short summary here but please contact me
offline if you would like a more complete compilation.

It seems that most users doing small attachment holes or short coral cores
(ie. for experimental replicates, not geology/growth records) were quite
happy with performance, even in granite substrates (difficult but doable).
Battery performance was reported good, lasting longer than a dive for the 3
amp battery (30 to upward of 100 drill holes per charge).

That said, there are also many experiences of faulty or malfunctioning Nemo
units.  In most but not all cases, the manufacturer dealt with these issues
to satisfaction.  It is not clear if the issue of defective units has been
improved in recent time.

As with all drills, many respondents emphasized the importance of rigorous
care/maintenance regime.

I did not hear from anyone that was successfully using the Nemo drill for
geological cores.

On Wed, May 16, 2018 at 7:12 AM, David Weinstein <dweinstein at rsmas.miami.edu