[Coral-List] Hawaii bans sunscreens deemed harmful to coral reefs

Melbourne Briscoe Mel at briscoe.com
Tue May 15 13:13:03 EDT 2018

I must say, as a long-time practitioner and observer of science and scientists and conservation organizations, that there are certainly a lot of heads-in-the-sand in this thread. It is the classic confrontation: the forces of the "do anything you can to help, every step is worth taking, all the drops of water add up" community, versus the forces of "focus on what is important, don't dilute your effort, ignore the small stuff" community. Both are well represented in this thread.

The problem, of course, is once somebody has done something -- no matter how inconsequential -- they feel better, and so are in danger of stopping there. Many posts have said you can have both approaches. But, usually, you don't successfully have both, if only because of attention span, there being only 24h in a day, and the natural inclination to pat oneself on the back for having done something without putting it in the context of "but did I actually do anything that will make a difference?"

There is an old Italian proverb that translates to "trying to make a hole in the water." It connotes an endeavor doomed to have no lasting consequence. I had a job once where we had to prioritize all the possible things we could do, from having-the-most-impact at the top, right down to trivialities at the bottom. Then, we went down the list until we found something we could afford.  The analogy here is that everybody here seems to agree on what the high-impact things are, but many are perfectly willing to drop way down the list to something they can do. They've spent their time and attention, but the big things are untouched. They are making a hole in the water.

I challenge you to do this: plot impact versus difficulty for each of the things you can think of that will help coral reefs, and do NOT then pick the low-impact items even if they are low difficulty. Stick with high-impact items, and examine each them to figure out how to make it easier, or cheaper, or more tractable.  Sometimes the high-impact item can be parsed into less-difficult pieces. Let your actions have some impact, and not just feel good.

/end of rant and sermon