[Coral-List] Hands-On Workshops on Gene Expression and SNP Genotyping

Eli Meyer meyere at oregonstate.edu
Fri May 18 21:04:09 EDT 2018

Hi Colleagues,

We still have a few spots available in our summer genomics workshops on
Catalina Island. This year we are including gene expression profiling with
Tag-Seq, a cost-effective and accurate method that's been widely used in
studies of corals and anemones. And as usual, we are offering a workshop on
SNP genotyping with 2bRAD, a similarly cost-effective method well-suited
for non-model systems like corals.

Our workshop includes the wet-lab procedures required to prepare sequencing
libraries from biological samples and the computational procedures for
converting raw DNA sequences into biological information.

The registration fee covers
1) Room and board (3 prepared meals a day, coffee & tea, and snacks)
2) Pilot data from your organism of interest
3) Training in each step of the process from nucleic acids in a tube to a
spreadsheet describing gene expression or genotypes
4) Participation in a group project to be written up in a joint publication

For more details, see our website at
http://people.oregonstate.edu/~meyere/workshops.html

For questions about registration or logistics contact Demian Willette (
demian.willette at lmu.edu). For specific questions about 2bRAD, contact Eli
Meyer (eli.meyer at oregonstate.edu). For specific questions about Tag-Seq,
contact Carly Kenkel (ckenkel at usc.edu). To reserve your spot, please
confirm your participation no later than June 15 and pay registration fee
no later than July 15th, 2018.

Thanks, hope to see some of you on Catalina this summer!

-Eli Meyer Demian Willette, & Carly Kenkel