[Coral-List] Passing of Ruth Gates, ISRS President

Rupert Ormond rupert.ormond.mci at gmail.com
Mon Nov 5 13:06:18 UTC 2018

Dear Coral-Listers/
/

Following the loss of Ruth, the Society would like to make the following
announcement for the information of the wider coral reef community:
//

/"The International Society for Reef Studies (ISRS) was greatly shocked
and saddened last week by news of the passing in Hawaii of our President
Ruth Gates, who was also Director of the Hawaii Institute of Marine
Biology at the University of Hawai'i, Manoa. She was a coral reef
scientist of exceptional ability and dedication, and the most dynamic
and committed of Society Presidents.//We shall miss her greatly.
//
//The Society is in discussion with others about raising funds for a
research studentship or fellowship in Ruth's memory, to be held at the
Institute of Marine Biology and to continue work on Ruth's specific
research interests, including the development of coral strains more
resistant to climate change. The Society expects to provide further
information on this proposal later this month." //
/

Rupert Ormond (corresponding seceretary, ISRS)