[Coral-List] Getting old is no fun.

John Ware jware at erols.com
Tue Nov 6 20:33:49 UTC 2018

Dear Peter and List,

Peter Sale's recent comment, extracted below:

"...that over the next decade or so, the world is going to lose a lot of coral reef scientists along with our memories of what reefs could be like in a Holocene ocean that no longer exists."

This reminded me of a recent trip my wife and I made to Curacao.  We have been diving ~40 years, maybe not long by the standards of many coral reef scientists, but long enough to have seen many changes to our reefs.

We were on a boat with quite a number of much younger divers (it seems everyone is much younger these days).  When we came up my wife's first comment was that "It was like diving on a cemetery!"  However, the younger divers were raving about the beautiful reef referring to algal-covered mounds that were once live coral.

John

--

  John R. Ware, PhD
  President
  jware at erols.com
  http://www.seaservices.org

   Become a member of the International Society for Reef Studies
   http://www.coralreefs.org