[Coral-List] Getting old is no fun.

Mark Tupper Mark.Tupper at utt.edu.tt
Fri Nov 9 14:38:11 UTC 2018

Living in Guam in the early 2000's, I noticed that a couple of the more responsible dive operators actually took advantage of the shifting baseline syndrome to help conserve healthy reefs. They would take the larger boats full of newbies to a long-dead area of reef and let them thrash around on the dead coral and marvel at the little damselfish and wrasses. The newbies would come up saying how amazing and beautiful the reef was. The experienced divers with better buoyancy control and a better idea of what a reef should look like, could pay more to go in smaller groups to healthier reefs with live coral and big fish.

Mark Tupper | The University of Trinidad and Tobago
Programme Professor | Centre for Maritime and Ocean Studies
Chaguaramas Campus | Tel: (868) 642-8888 Ext#22126 | Mobile: (868) 748-6755
mark.tupper at utt.edu.tt | www.utt.edu.tt